It's familiarly foreign

Near the end of our visit in Canada, I was feeling anxious about returning to Cambodia. I was worried I wouldn't shift back into life as we had left it and nervous about some changes coming our way. We arrived in Phnom Penh 5 days ago and as we ride our motos through the traffic and take in all the smells, it all feels very familiar. We know how to go buy groceries, we remember the streets and how to get to certain places, and we recognize familiar faces.

Enjoying Long Lake in Whitehorse, Yukon

Yesterday, we drove out of the city a little ways. It was a rough day. It took quite a while of weaving through traffic to finally get to a place that was semi-rural. As I was watching the scenery pass by, I kept thinking "this is familiar yet so foreign". It's so different from life in Canada. The scenery, the people, the language, the traffic, the weather, etc. It's all so different.

I think at this point, I'm still contrasting life between here and Canada. I hope that soon the familiar will outweigh the foreign.

Enjoying this little spot off the road just outside of Phnom Penh, Cambodia 

Comments

Popular Posts