I'm a child of God

Last week, we had a visitor in the office. As we all sat around the table with our visitor, our director suggested we all go around and say who we are - a mini introduction.

"Hi, my name is... and I'm an architect.
      Hi, my name is... and I'm a civil engineer.
          My name is... and I'm a drafter."

And on it went. I was one of the last ones to introduce myself and as I sat listening to everyone, I was getting annoyed. In the last few years, I've realized that truth is one of my core values so I was annoyed when someone would say "... and I'm an engineer" when they didn't do any engineering work!

In the office, I wear multiple hats so I just shared my name. And since I didn't tack on "... and I'm an engineer", one of my teammates completed the sentence for me by saying "and she's a child of God". We all laughed and I said "yes, that's right. I'm Kathleen and I'm a child of God".

Hi, I'm Kathleen and I'm a child of God.

I've been thinking of this all weekend. I often forget my identity in Christ and it's so easy to place my identity in my profession, my relationships, my abilities, my insecurities, etc. I've heard sermons on our identity in Christ and as I read through the Bible, I read about who I am in Christ, however, I still struggle to believe it and I don't practice it. I've been wondering how come we don't remind each other of our identity, especially in Christian circles. Why aren't we introducing ourselves by saying "Hi, I'm Kathleen and I'm a child of God. Oh, and during the weekdays, I do engineering work"? 

My job will end. But I'll always be a child of God. I think if I started introducing myself this way, I would be constantly reminding myself of my true identity. Not just learning about my identity, but owning my identity and not being ashamed of it. I'm going to try and remember this next time I meet someone and see how it goes.

Comments

Popular Posts